Viewing posts for the category PhD research
Posted by: Mónica Mendes in Algoritmos Criativos ARTiVIS Digital Media Exhibitions Forests protection Interactive installations PhD research Play with Fire Sustainability 8 years, 9 months ago
The last days at the exhibition were completely filled with intensive work doing participants observation, tests and records. Here is a selection of photos focused on the Play with Fire interactive installation implementation and user interaction observation on this flickr set »
The Colab also reports some of the exhibition installations by UT Austin|Portugal Program Digital Media PhD students, including Play with Fire. Check pages 4-5 of the February newsletter to find Play with Fire, Onomaphonic and Prefall135 »
Additionally, I had my Digital Media students of the Multimedia Art degree on February 23 and the Multimedia Project II students of the Art and Heritage Sciences degree on February 25 visiting the exhibition as part of the references presented from the insider's perspective by Pedro Ângelo, for later discussion in class. Take a look at the references list of the works presented in the exhibition posted in the classes blog »
And here it is the overall view of the Algoritmos Criativos exhibition photos set from the study visits »
*Thanks* to everyone that collaborated by answering the tests form, in presence at the Pavilhão do Conhecimento, or later online! In case you have been at the exhibition and still want to contribute to the ongoing research, here is the tests form link »
(this anonymous test will only take 5-10 min., and the feedback is precious for the current research and further iterations of the Play with Fire interactive installation :)
Posted by: Mónica Mendes in Algoritmos Criativos altLab ARTiVIS AZ labs Exhibitions PhD research Play with Fire Presentations 8 years, 9 months ago
Algoritmos Criativos exhibition is a project promoted by Ciência Viva and O Espaço do Tempo in colaboration with Audiência Zero. The exhibition will be open at Pavilhão do Conhecimento in Lisbon from February 6 to 26, 2012. The entry is free, join us!
Meanwhile, here is the UT Austin-Portugal Program news on this subject »
Posted by: Mónica Mendes in ARTiVIS Implementation Local culture PhD research Play with Fire Residency 8 years, 10 months ago
The ARTiVIS project is participating in an Artist in Residency program at the University of Madeira in close collaboration with the SINAIS eco feedback project team.
We will share ongoing developments in our research work that could be of interest to the SINAIS project, namely the design of a networked open hardware forest surveillance kit, and Play With Fire, a public interactive installation that engages participants with live video of forests and generative real-time graphics overlays.
The proposed goals of this Artist in Residency program are:
- Scout Laurissilva sites, and test the potential for setting up an ARTiVIS surveillance kit on site for storing data and providing a live feed of the landscape to be used in further developments.
- Bridge Play with Fire with SINAIS by setting up a version of the installation at a public venue in Madeira . This setup would allow us to design and carry out user experience evaluation with the support of the SINAIS team
- Collaborate with the SINAIS team in order to share insights and data from our work and receive valuable feedback from them. This would lead to brainstorming the concept and design of a public installation for SINAIS eco feedback.
- Generate publications, submissions for art venues and disseminations of results. We propose that these tasks be completed over a period of six months comprising two residency periods at Madeira and a research and development period in the mainland.
The first residency period occurred in the week from 23 to 29 of January and involved:
- Contacting local Laurissilva forest spots, scouting places to install test equipment.
- Setting up a version of the Play With Fire installation for testing at the Tecnopolo.
- Meeting with SINAIS group to present ARTiVIS and Play With Fire.
- Evaluating the installation design in collaboration with HCI experts from SINAIS.
- Brainstorming with the SINAIS team about their eco-feedback public installation.
- Working on location testing the Laurissilva forest setup and Play With Fire installation, preparing for the upcoming exhibition at Pavilhão do Conhecimento.
- Documenting and planning development objectives for the July residency period.
We had a great time in Madeira with the SINAIS team and we are already working on improving Play With Fire and testing the components for the DIY forest surveillance kit for the second residency period around July.
Posted by: Mónica Mendes in altLab ARTiVIS AZ labs AZ residency PhD research Play with Fire 9 years, 1 month ago
After another artistic residency week at O Espaço do Tempo in Montemor-o-Novo, we finally premiered the Play with Fire interactive installation and had the opportunity of showing it to hundreds of students that visited the exhibition during the following week.
This Play with Fire teaser video presents some of those moments shot during the Montemor-o-Novo Algoritmos Criativos residency and exhibition »
[vimeo http://www.vimeo.com/33196286 w=524&h=295]
Posted by: Mónica Mendes in PhD research 9 years, 2 months ago
with "Play with Fire" paper presentation RTiVISS on fire at ISEA 2011 today – presenting "Play with Fire"
Paper presentation together with Pedro Ângelo at Sustainability panel, Sabanci Center, Istanbul http://isea2011.sabanciuniv.edu/content/sustainability